Oak

Quercus

Oak


Oak poisoning is a problem with cattle that graze on oak buds, immature leaves and acorns. It has been assumed from this that acorns are also poisonous to humans, and reports of acorn poisoning occasionally find their way into medical literature. Many people eat acorns with no apparent ill results. It is unlikely that acorns cause significant poisoning unless large quantities are consumed. Oak poisoning appears after several days or weeks. Symptoms are abdominal pains, constipation, extreme thirst and frequent urination. In severe cases there may be bloody diarrhea, rapid but weak pulse, liver damage, and death. Livestock often die within twenty-four hours after eating quantities of the young foliage and buds.