Poisonous Bulbs

It is unlikely that llamas will eat any of the bulbs listed below,
but it just as well to be aware of the dangers.


Amaryllis bulb

Amaryllis

Also known as Belladonna Lily
Amaryllis Belladonna

The alkaloids present in the bitter-tasting bulb will cause trembling and vomiting. This will be followed by a general feeling of weakness and too rapid a heartbeat. The pupils of the eye will become dilated. This last symptom may remain after all other signs have disappeared.



Cowbane bulb

Cowbane

Cicuta virosa

This plant is related to Water Hemlock and the roots are considered very dangerous.





Daffodil bulb

Daffodil

Narcissus

If this plant is eaten in quantities, poisoning can result in diarrhea, trembling vomiting, and convulsions. Since poisoning may be fatal it is best that small children are not near the plant at any time. The problem here is that children are attracted to the bulbs which look much like the edible onion.



Fall Crocus bulb

Fall Crocus

Also known as Autumn Crocus or Meadow Saffron
Colchicum autumnale

The long, thin leaves and thick bulb of the autumn crocus appear in the spring and then wither in the fall, when a light purple flower appears. Colchicine, the poisonous principle, is present in the entire plant, but is most concentrated in the root or bulb.



Hyacinth bulb

Hyacinth

Hyacinthus orientalis

A bulbous herb of the lily family, this common garden or potted hyacinth has green leaves nearly twelve inches long and about three-quarters of an inch wide. The poisonous principle is concentrated in the large bulb. Ingesting only a small amount of a hyacinth bulb may cause severe stomach upset.



Iris bulb

Iris

Iris versicolor

The irritating juice in the leaves and roots of the Iris causes severe, but not dangerous gastrointestinal upsets.





Narcissus bulb

Narcissus

Narcissus

Eating the bulbs may cause gastroenteritis, resulting in vomiting and diarrhea.





Snowdrop bulb

Snowdrop

Galanthus nivalis

This is an Amaryllis family bulbous herb, prized by gardeners for its early blooming flowers. The small bulbs containing alkaloids, may cause stomach and intestinal upset.





Star-of-Bethlehem bulb

Star-of-Bethlehem

Ornithogalum umbellatum

The Star-of-Bethlehem is a one-foot tall, onion-like plant with a large bulb and small white flowers. The bulbs are sometimes eaten by children and cause nausea and vomiting. An irregular heartbeat similar to digitalis intoxication has been reported. Poisoning is usually not severe.



Trillium bulb

Trillium

Trillium

There are about thirty species of this beautiful perennial herb belonging to the Lily family growing throughout North America. Each spring the flowering stalks arise from thick, short root stocks. eating the toxic rootstocks produces violent vomiting.




Tulip bulb

Tulip

Tulipia

The tulip bulb is poisonous when uncooked.